C. Jeffrey Cook
Jeff is the senior member of the firm’s Business, Banking and Transactions Group and has earned a reputation of being highly skilled in managing complicated business transactions. He has more than 35 years of experience working on mergers and acquisitions for buyers and sellers. Jeff advises new and established businesses on all aspects of capital formation and he counts among his clients a number of the larger multi-generational family businesses located in and around the Berkshires. He serves many corporate clients as general counsel, often dealing with such matters as business development and ownership succession.
Jeff represents cultural organizations and other tax-exempt organizations located within and outside the Berkshires and regularly counsels them on business, tax and regulatory matters.
Throughout his years of practice, Jeff has represented physicians in all aspects of practice operation, affiliation and acquisition, including the organization of the largest multi-specialty practice in the area, the development of professional service organizations affiliated with medical centers, right down to assisting individual physicians in the negotiation and execution of employment agreements.
- Columbia College, B.A
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
Areas of Practice
- Business and Banking Law
- Business and Financial Transactions
- Business Organization and Capital Formation
- Corporate and Business Counseling
- Health Law – Physician Practices
- Represented a troubled regional department store chain with locations in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey in a successful sale, through bankruptcy, to a larger national chain.
- Regularly handles the acquisition and sale of businesses whose assets range from high five figures to middle nine figures, beginning with leading negotiations and continuing through post-closing business and employee integration.
- Family businesses in transition have benefited from Jeff's long experience in the planning and implementation of a full range of business development objectives, including acquisition and sale of business units, management recruitment and management and ownership succession.
In the Community
- Jeff is very active in state and local business organizations.
- He was recently re-elected as Secretary and member of the Executive Committee of the Massachusetts Business Roundtable of which he is a long standing member. He is one of the founding members, Secretary and Board member of the Berkshire Business Roundtable and serves as Secretary and Board member of 1Berkshire Strategic Alliance Inc., the newly organized umbrella organization for economic development of the Berkshires.
- He also serves on the Board of Directors of the John Adams Innovation Institute of the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative, the Berkshire Chamber of Commerce and several family businesses which he represents.
- One of the founders of the Northeast Symposium on the Environment, Jeff is an avid outdoorsman. He is a devoted downhill skier who also enjoys kayaking, hiking, mountain biking and cross-country skiing, and keeps himself fit with regular workouts and the Pittsfield YMCA.
- New York
- American Bar Association
- ABA Section of Business Law
- ABA Section of Health Law
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- MBA Section of Business Law
- MBA Section of Health Law
- New York State Bar Association
- NYSBA Section of Business Law
- Berkshire Bar Association